Sigil of Lucifer (“Seal of Satan”)

The Sigil of Lucifer is a lesser known historical magical sigil used occasionally as an emblem by modern Satanists. The image originates in the sixteenth century Italian Grimoirium Verum, or “Grimoire of Truth.” Used in conjunction with other symbols, its original purpose of the sigil was to aid in a visual invocation of the angel Lucifer.

The figure is probably derived from an earlier work, most likely drawn from a magic square whose origins are now lost. The emblem is sometimes referred to as the “Seal of satan,” although this is not a historical usage.

spacer
Image in situ
spacer
Related Symbols:
sigil
spacer

{ 1 trackback }

Religious Symbol Dictionary | symboldictionary.net
December 10, 2009 at 11:38 am

{ 162 comments… read them below or add one }

reply May 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm

i am looking for actual facts supporting satan, if anyone has true facts supporting rituals or ways of contacts then contact me at my email “americanpuppetmaster@gmail.com

Gourdguru March 14, 2013 at 4:12 am

Actually, me, that whole pride of lucifer story, is made up later. the early gnostics were persecuted for similar ideas by the church, and the idea died out until the publishing of Dante’s Inferno, in which the romanticized version you speak of was first found and gained popularity.

in reality, lucifer(lightbearer) was the latin translation of the hebrew Helel(shining one), which was used to refer to christ. anywhere in the bible it calls christ the morning/bright/shining/day star or occasionally light of the world, it’s a bad translation of helel. it was left untranslated from latin in Isaiah 14:12(which mocks a king of babylon) in the king james bible, probably to take a jab at a “cardinal lucifer” from the same era. basicallly a smear campaign against the guy.

that passage has been used by christians to support the idea of lucifer as the devil ever since.

Layton Oliver January 8, 2013 at 8:48 am

The reason i am writing today is that i have devised a rather complex plan to obtain an Object of which lucifer is mentioned it was said to be directly liknked to him as he aided a monk to write it before his death after i eventually have a chance to accomplish this i then need a way to return lucifer to his rightful place in heaven as his banishment was to protect the souls of the dead from being throw in to oblivion lucifer stood up to god to try and persuade him to re think and so god felt threatened by lucifer so he banished him from heaven. Lucifer should be the rightful king of Heaven and the world that lays beneath. and to do this to give back lucifers power i need to arise the true king with the blood of the innocent as a sacrifice for those he tried to protect.

mari13 December 18, 2012 at 2:11 am

Osiris_sunra i would like to chat with you i think we have the same thoughts about contacting lucifer. and i would like to hear more of your story ,i have one thats kinda the same

Hmm. December 5, 2012 at 7:36 am

Interesting thoughts have been posted here but most of them are worthless. Just as others have stated before, stop your begging. It will get you no wheres. As for the people that worship Lucifer, Satan, or the Devil, what ever you may choose to call him, is it not in your own guidelines to have self-empowerment? (If you want to go in LaVey Satanism, all it basically is, though i do not believe it… If you want that type of help, see a professional or get a self help book. New age Satanism.. Pathetic, but yet that is what most people believe) As for the people who want the end, give it some time, it will end up happening. Whether or not its from a higher being or from man itself. As the Bible has quoted that the “world will end as we know it” does not mean that life will cease to exist or that a higher power will destroy the world, people love to misinterpret that.. Just as I read from above, learn your own religion before you post, that means know BOTH sides of the story. Poor intelligence will be the death of this world.. And it is sad to see the people who are pro-Satanism cannot even spell, nonetheless even be able to type out a correct sentence. Its starting to get sad to see what Satanism has been reduced to.. To see people who think that if they light a candle, draw a pentagram and kill a cat that the Devil himself will come to you. Or that people believe that they pretend to be more then they are to be able to do something, when in reality they can not. I know this is the internet, but seriously?..

Nixole November 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Lucifer is a physical being, a messenger. Lucifer is NOT Satan. Satan is the symbolic keeper of Hell. Satan is not a physical being: He is the power – or force, if you will – that drives the world.

the Hun July 17, 2013 at 6:36 am

WRONG WRONG WRONG ALL OF YOU WRONG. the name Lucifer\Satan is an archetype..a sigil… a manifestation of CULLED NEGATIVE ENERGY MANIPULATED TO CREATE EVENTS! Perhaps oit even represented the ego. BUT NO HUMAN CAN ACCREDIT THIS ENERGY TO ANY ONE CHARACTER who looks like this one artist happened to have made him. CMON. THATS LIKLE saying God wears a robe aand sandals…cut it out!

Muspel October 25, 2012 at 11:17 pm

*sigh* Really, people. Have some self-respect. Use spell-check. You’re making ALL of your respective camps look absolutely horrible.

Feedom October 8, 2012 at 10:20 pm

We spend so much time debating things we do not understand. Many different opinions were posted here and the small differences lead to hostility. People, regardless of faith, need to be united on the road ahead.

We have the power to actively shape our own reality. If you want money work. If you want a spouse get fit and date. If your family member is sick be at their side, fund-raise, and make them as comfortable as possible. What would God, Lucifer, or Allah think if they saw us sniveling, begging, afraid to live life and use our all important free will.

Zephaniah Michael October 5, 2012 at 5:14 am

I could potentially be Lucifer’s replacement. I’ve been having revelations about the next life and my place in it for several years now, at first I was scared that I was the anti-christ but then it started to make more and more sense about what God was showing me. When Lucifer fell and became Satan his position in Heaven was never replaced. The Children of Angels (Demons) who have found God will replace him and the Angel’s that fell with him. We will serve God with Jesus as High King, and our dwelling place shall be inbetween the Earth and the Heavens, the sky. We shall present an offering of music from the best and talented muscians this world can offer to the Lord. For someone like me, it will truly be paradise.

Zohaf Mocthulh September 22, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Shaithanama Nach Al-Nyka! Bleyat!

Ezarika September 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Wow… Just a shout out to all who worship ‘Lucifer’, the translation is “light-bringer.” It is the task given to the morning star. The fallen angel, which I will call Satan for the purpose of this post, held that position before its fall. Now, if you give even the slightest weight to the Christian Bible, that position is currently held by the Son of God, Jesus, according to Revelations 22:16. Satan is no longer the Lucifer, Jesus is the Lucifer. Now I know most of you don’t want to be worshiping Jesus, so get your facts straight and start following your actual religion instead of half-assing your faith. Start using your brains before your unknowing faith.

Claudia8Thorn September 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Amazing how this tiny bit of info on a relatively new symbol is one of the most commented on. Anyways, what makes you think that any of you will receive what you want? If I was an almighty being I’d look at you with pity. Being dependent on others…Do for yourselves because that’s the only way to survive. And really, sacrificed virgin? Did you have all of your cloaked friends gather and chant in your mom’s basement?

aniael July 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

First of all I would like to say you people Know nothing of the times you are living in blasphemers will burn you will feel pain not existing on this earth my father loves all his children.you heathens have been given a beautiful gift and yet you abuse it blatantly in his face use his name in vein you people are nothing but primordial creatures so far behind. ignorant immature humans you apes shall never be destroyed.you shall live forever in pain with the knowledge of what you have done to my fathers last great creation. you know not of our symbolism the lines and seals above have no meaning to us do not tempt my family or your kind shall reap more than you sew

Yeshrazazel July 16, 2012 at 3:16 am

These comments are rather funny lol but i wonder how many of you actually know and experience Lucifer in our true form….Ad Majorum Gloriam Luciferi Ex Occulum Dei Conscientia……..Feel the vibrations from these words I type, you will know truth as u see hear and feel it…..

BCOMNIVORE July 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

These comments are exactly why occult and satanic philosophy are overlooked. Please read more, stop overthinking the lyrics of 2nd or 3rd wave black metal, look into etymology and prechristian art and mythology. Lucifer is not satan, they are 2 different prechristian ideas.

nonexistence_666 July 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm

belief is an asset beset upon the soul, to carry like a stone. The true satanist acknowledges all other points of view for what they are. put down your goodguy badges for your arms will eventually grow weak, take control of your own world.
for those who believe themselves to be satanist i ask, in your times of darkest despair when your soul has grown weary and your own skin just does not seem to fit anymore do you hope for better? do you pray for a loved one to survive a illness? or do you believe in pure innner strength and human will.
forever stronger than all.

hello June 20, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Even the christian leaders have said that a prayer to Jesus won’t save you. Those that have prayed for the sick, cast out demons, week after week, and nothing happens,,, tells me everything. I know. So I gave up on that. (And their saying that all things outside of christianity is ‘the devil’). Is that not blasphemy of the holy ghost?
Anyway, it did not work, so I gave up on it. That’s all.
David Icke in his books talks about christianity, nephilim, nwo, etc. Fritz Springmeier talks about the illuminati mind control operation.
I think christianity is a mind control operation. From a lower astral level.

darius June 16, 2012 at 6:41 am

for those people that don’t know .
LUCIFER is angel of god .
it’s not devil . devil means something or someone that is so bad .
It just want to take revenge.
so G** is devil that take lucifer out just for what ?
for saying : i wont pray something like human . it’s a shit .
we are immortals !
god is bad . lucifer is innocent .
if you are bad it’s your fault . not lucifer .

Archangel Micheal June 8, 2012 at 9:16 am

I surprise that you these people still believe in satan, when the God the great almighty, your creator, your guirdian from the womb of your mother, the lord of host of heaven and earth is still in exsistence, may almight Allah tourch your heart, because you’ve all went astray

Jay June 3, 2012 at 10:52 am

Im new to this satanic stuff so i know most of t he signs and i believe satan is not a bad guy but satanists have a point god says he loves us but yet calls us not worth to even see him and he never answers our prayers but satan does and we are slightly equal to him ..HAIL SATAN!

The Gate Keeper May 22, 2012 at 11:38 pm

You people that say Satan will not destroy god? How must you know? Assumption is a b****. I must conjure Jesus swell, and watch them fight, and destroy each other.

The Gate Keeper May 22, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Me, and my lord, Bile, will set it right. Satan will regain his power, for he must be god now! He was cast out?! WHY?! what has this angel done. You said you love your children, but you CAST HIM OUT?! You must have lied then! Then, if you did, you are impure, and are unable to stay in command of the beautiful land and universe. Me, The Gate Keeper, will put the key in the lock of the door withholding our father. Satan will rise again, I have the conjuration. I have sacrificed a beautiful virgin, as a offering, and in return, I get help. KILL GOD!! KICK HIM OFF THE THRONE!! Now, WHOS WITH ME!!

darius April 22, 2012 at 4:19 am

i am the one who love Lucifer.
the one that god take him just for nothing.
Lucifer will take revenge with destroying humanity .
and you can see he is doing it right now .

Anonymous November 12, 2014 at 12:07 am

Lucifer is simply an angel turned dark. If you were truly Luciferian, you would know that Lucifer is a darkness brought to enlighten humanity. Most luciferians see Lucifer as a “bringer of light”, or just the physical feature of Satan. But, since the fall, Lucifer has been more of a dark presence. And get your facts straight people-LUCIFER AND SATAN ARE COMPLETELY DIFFRENT! I see Lucifer as a dark presence because their is no grater darkness that the brightest star imploding.

akinsanya olusheyi abimbola April 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I want to be good in Everyaspect on this earth , I need wisdom, understanding, and knowledge in my academy that I should be perfect in my studies deeply that before I should read my book I should understand it and I need power that can be controlled anything on this earth. Free mercy help me to become someone on earth

Okami Rain April 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Lucifer only a creature of God. How can create a being a stronger one than himself? Satan cannot win, because the Army of the Heaven guards the 6000 lock that are holding him. In fact, that Lucifer rebelled with only two-thirds of the Angelic Army. My friends, it’s nice hope, that Satan will win, but in fact he have no chance… I Would like to ask you to repentance, because YHWH isn’t a kind father. He just like fury fire! He will burn everything what is sinful!
Love, a servant of Light

Hunter April 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I just got that tatted yesterday.

Abdendum April 5, 2012 at 2:54 am

Wow, a lotta nutcases around here … Xtians, Pseudo-Satanists, people not capable of spelling ….

Yo Momma March 3, 2012 at 1:37 am

Yo Im just sayin. If Lucifer had to run this. I mewan why would he. You people are a head ache. If I was Lucifer I would just stay hear until I decided to leave and we all know how to check out don’t we. I mean rulling this world would be like eating a shit hot dog and you know god isn’t just gonna let him have it without first giving him a giant finger up the ass. I mean does Lucifer REAlly have to run this? The man has had more hate than Jesus. The Itallians call him Lucifer?

Compella February 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm
jesusfree February 12, 2012 at 3:16 am

I think that any one that thinks that God is not real is pretty stupid and if you really think that Satan is going to destroy God I think you are insane

Iliana February 9, 2012 at 2:21 am

LOL at the I like turtle comment. Btw, interesting thoughts, please continue.^^

The Kidd January 8, 2012 at 3:55 am

When looked at upside down this symbol also looks like satan in a dress inviting you into his house for cookies.

shahriar October 17, 2011 at 9:16 am

i believe that goodness and badness both exist and there are some who are serving the bad! but i still dont know if all the badness can come toghather in one person… but i’d love to know

Perdruabo "Headvoices" Azazel October 13, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Sh’mi Ad, Ad sh’m…

roxxy October 12, 2011 at 12:48 am

it is said…there shall be a war..that rages for many years after the apocolyspe….they say god shall win and banish satan for 10,00 years or so if im correct…and then …he shall be released by a wondering sinful soul and things will start over but worse than before. the apocolypse is hell on earth so to speak….

Rhys September 12, 2011 at 7:06 pm

You all have very overactive imaginations. What do you get out of all this and expect to recieve out of this satan nonsense? Have you any evidence that such a thing exists? those who say they do can never provide the evidence. If you believe in deitys then you may aswell believe in the toothfairy or vampires.

Enki_Eternal September 2, 2011 at 5:40 am

For those who are actually interested in knowing who Father Satan is, Visit this link http://www.joyofsatan.com

goofy August 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I like turtles…

Reficul August 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

btw iam wat i am….

when thy world ends
the worst of man shall show.

the best of life is seen

whrought down by god he whom grew weary of a single almighty deity
lucifer struck forth

heaven was split

hell was born

leviathan garbs it eternally

Reficul August 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm

note dont rite my name bacwords f u do dont disrespect it….Any way i read dat da false propets name is Hoar (IF UR IMMATURE…grow up)and its a female

Sean Olson July 27, 2011 at 6:26 am

I agree with Tommy, if you want to know better meanings of understanding Lucifer then you should try looking it up in Latin text/ definition.

tommy July 22, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Lucifer is not a satanic being. Lucifer existed long before there was such a thing as christianity and had nothing to do with demons. Lucifer is the ancient name for the planet Venus, and means The Light Bringer. He was worshiped as a deity of wisdom and truth before christianity poisoned the world with its blasphemous talk of one true god and his horde of demons…

ILLyJE July 16, 2011 at 5:08 am

First of all Lucifer is a diety of the sun from Italic origins who is the keeper of wisdom and controls the weather who has a twin called noctifer who is a diety of the moon keeper of secrets and controls all things unknown. the being you think you are or worship is Samael the poison of god this is the seducer and accuser of man who has dominion over earth according to the talmud. there is actually more than one being that could be your devil, many references to this fact in the talmud and the apocrypha. your ignorance just makes you foolish. of all the things to do with your pathetic mediocre life you choose to emulate a being you don’t know or understand. ask me if you want to know I’ll teach you…COS…OTO…IXO…

kevin zhang July 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Beheirit, i think i kinda hear you, can’t wait till he brings the apocolypse ^_^ and destroys us all…i’d kill myself during that

Alexander July 9, 2011 at 12:31 am

Lads, IF Satan did come back (not that i even think God and the devil are real) do you really think that ANYONE would be left alive.
Think of when the British went to North America, (I am British) see what they did to the people then. I’d think he’d do the same sort of thing, but many times over.

Anyway, if god is real, we’ve killed him already. This world is only ours.

Orem July 3, 2011 at 8:51 am

Are these idiots seriously what I have to work with here? If anyone is still considering the idea that Satan and Lucifer are one and the same entity, please join up at your local Catholic church immediately, your stupidity will do them far more damage if you work with them rather than against them. According to Esoteric writings the world we are living in is “Hell”, the microcosm, the ‘V’ whichever you wish to call it, if you wish to ascend to “Heaven”, the macrocosm, or the ‘/\’ you must go through the 7. 7 colours, 7 vowels, 7 musical notes (G, I know oh my god, you idiot), seven planets. Now you morons are probably thinking “Ha, look at this idiot, 7 vowels, 7 planets?”, But trust me here, you are the idiot. Anyways, back to the last point, 7 planets, Lucifer, the light bringer the morning star the great tempter, Lucifer is latin for light bringer but more importantly it is ancient Greek for Venus. Saturn – Satan, I’m sure you can grasp that. You won’t see me here again, take from this if you like, ignore it if you will.

David June 20, 2011 at 5:37 am

Beherit, he ALREADY is the king of this world, you can find references in bible to this fact (for example, when he tells Christ he will give him all reigns if Christ adores him)…

Rae June 8, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’m sure sure Satan would know how to use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar… Just sayin’.

Samuel_Laeon May 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I am Lucifer my Angel name is Samuel_Laeon i was once alliance with good
but now i have been banished satan diden’t want me cause i was to good,
i bring light and i bring dark
i bring destruction
and i bring hope
i make you glad then
i break you sad
i am powerless at the momment now
just look at god
hes not touching your kind
in a couple of year
when i have breaked the seal
the world’s mana will raise
and so will you
you shall not defile me
neither shall god
he has no power
look at him,
in time i will learn
his strongest weakness
and it is you who keep him
if there is no faith there is no creation
if there is no you there is simply no god
long ago i convined some we was better off without god
or else many more would believe in this blind faith
god shall touch a human being he said himself
but he shall forgive your sin’s
but i i will forgive you if you just ask
and i will let you know face to face
cause god never face you with himself.
i am between heaven and hell
i am between evil and good
i am free to choose whenever i want
not consumed not to light.
i dont see the bright
i dont hate the dark.
i be whatever i want to be
god dont like this
he see what i got in me.

Beherit April 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I am SICK of people who say that Lucifer is not real!! He IS real. I am ready for lucifer to return and take his rightful place as king of this pathetic world. Then all the non believers will be destroyed